If you have done DIY projects before then this will be easy. Below you will find This is the list of items you need to create your own DIY solar powered energy supply:
- solar UPS controller (which is the funding goal of this project)
- Power Inverter 12V or 24V with at least 1000W continuous power
- Batteries that add up to 12V or 24V with a minimum capacity of 35AH
- cables & connectors
Solar charge controller 12V or 24V with 6A
- Solar panel with a nominal power rating of at least 200W
These are the items I recommend, the links will go to an actual store where you can simply order for door shipping. I do have tested five different 24V inverter but there are hundreds of models so there are a lot of very good alternatives out there. Also I have ordered at the below stores myself but I am not affiliated with them in any way.
DIY solar shopping list with links
- 1x inverter 24V, 1500W pure sine wave ($220)
- 2x 12V 35AH batteries ($124)
- 1x 12/24V, 6A charge controller ($30)
- 2x 100W solar panel ($239)
- 1x Battery box ($10)
- 1x Cable set ($40)
- 1x solar UPS controller $297 ————————————————————- Total: $960
Here is a link to a Power Inverter FAQ that might be able to answer further questions. There are two types of inverters: Modified Sine Wave (MSW) and Pure (or True) Sine Wave. Some appliances to not work well with MSW, you can read about it under the FAQ link.
The cost for the above items as of February 2015 are included in the brackets – they might have changed already. There are many solar kits sold out there but most of them come with a poor charge controller. A good solar charge controller is important to maintain the lifespan of the batteries. Don’t save money here. I am open for suggestions to improve this list or lower the cost. The calculation of the solar UPS is not final yet and also depend heavily on the amount of funded units: the more supporters the lower the price.
Some big hardware stores offer free home delivery on the necessary items.
Here is a quick preview of the next generation UNplug unit. It will be a like Power plant in a toolbox – the new mobile power generator. Check out the corresponding video.